Jon et al.

Well put! I've been running emc since you had to  patch the kernel
(0.9 patch , its been so long I can't remember) to get emc to run.
Somewhat before the BDI's.
I've never had a well checked out controller take off on me.

Anytime I've had a problem I had done something stupid and found out
about it rather quickly. Usually abort takes care of it.
The E-stop is a pretty lonely button ... doesn't get much attention. ;-)

Once an g-code program is checked out it is a LOT more reliable than
the nut behind the keyboard.

I put a lot of time on the machine, often several hours a day, over
the years that counts up.

Dave