Hi Dave,

It all depends on what you want to do. If you just want manual
position then the glass scales will do your job.

However, if you ever intend to control the axes then encoders mounted
on the end of the ball screws would be my choice. USdigital or
Automation Direct (Koyo) encoders are reasonably priced and should do
the job.
Both my Mazak and my Cincinnati are configured that way. I use the
highest resolution I can buy ... 2500 ppr which gives me 10K counts/rev.
This, of course, assumes you  are going to use servo's not steppers.
Using this approach with emc should get you a DRO at less than the
400 UK for the scales and give you an
upgrade path into machine control.

http://automationdirect.com

http://usdigital.com