> I think Ben is being overly critical here.  Xylotex drives do produce a
> hissing sound from the motor.  It is a result of the type of PWM used by
> those drives, and it is normal and totally harmless.  It does NOT
> indicate any kind of problem that you need to worry about.

Thanks, John. I suspected as much. They did that the first day I hooked them
up, and I've made my own beginner-level stepper drives for hobby projects
with things like BASIC Stamps, and PIC microcontrollers, and they've made
hissing, and squealing noises, too, albeit more quietly, with less power to
their coils. I have some EL wire drivers, too, which are basically voltage
multipliers, and they squeal like they're about to explode!

-Gary