Gary Fixler wrote:
>     One of the reasons I often drill a useless hole someplace at the
>     start of the
>     project, and write my code with that as the 0,0,0 point.  That makes
>     getting
>     back to within a couple thou a bit easier.
>

> That's a great idea. I would love an absolute positioning system -
> something that was always the same for the mill, at least between full
> strip-downs, and rebuilds.

Well, it depends on how your homing system works.  I have index
pulses on my encoders, and home to those pulses.  I get quite
repeatable homing that way.  In theory, I could shut down one
day, fire it up the next day, home the axes, and be right on the
same alignment to the vise jaw or whatever.

Jon