Jon Elson wrote:
> John Kasunich wrote:
>> Jon Elson wrote:
>>  > I have no idea how hard it is to do better with this lookahead,
>>
>> It's hard.  :-(
>>
>> That's the rub - if there is a discontinuity the machine has to slow
>> down.  But it doesn't know there is a discontinuity until it gets there.
>> (Or in EMC's case, until it gets within one segment of there.)
> Well, then, what is the difference between G64 and G64 P0.0005 ?
> In this particular program, it makes a 4 minute difference, or
> a factor of 15:1 !  it still didn't get up to the programmed
> feed rate, but it got a lot closer.  I think I must have left
> the file with the 60 IPM feedrate in it, and it did 6.28 inches
> in 17 seconds, or 22 IPM.
>
> I can understand horrible performance in G61 mode, that would be
> expected.

Maybe the lines in this program are close enough to collinear that when
you give G64 a tolerance to work with Jeff's code is combining bunches
of them into much longer segments that allow much higher velocity.

I think G64 without a tolerance can only blend moves that are exactly
tangent - that would mostly apply to paths made up of lines joined by arcs.

Regards,

John Kasunich