On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 17:07 +0000, aaron Moore wrote:
> Alan
> Thanks for reply.
> I am using steppers, so do I add my read and writes to the servo thread or
> the base
> thread?

The step (and direction) pulses that steppers or step/direction servo
and stepper controllers use, need to be very fast, so if your step and
direction signals are coming through your parport, your parport driver
needs to run as fast as possible. The base thread is the fastest
thread.

The servo thread is a little slower and among other things, monitors and
controls what goes on in the base thread. The servo thread also is used
to control things that don't need to to be fast or particularly accurate
timing wise. If you are not connecting your steppers to the new parport,
you most likely can run the driver for the new parport in the servo
thread.

> My .hal file still has all the original configuration lines in, which I know
> work... will
> it run once I make these changes or is there still more to do?
>
> Aaron

When you mention that your original .hal file worked fine, it makes me
think that your steppers are already being controlled, So what will you
be connecting to your new parport?

--
Kirk Wallace (California, USA
Hardinge HNC/EMC CNC lathe,