I've got two "big ole" Allen-Bradley push buttons wired in series.
One in easy reach on each side of the machine.
They're the "pull and twist" to close and "push to open" type.
They're in the AC mains circuit so operation is nearly instantaneous.
They control power to the router, motors and controller, but not the
computer.
They were about $30 US for the pair on eBay. Cheap insurance, I think.
Before them, I had run a $45 cutter way into the vacuum table (since
repaired with Bondo) and had a Roto-Zip pull itself out of the router into
the table. (More Bondo ;^)

A few of mistakes like that has made me more careful and observant and I've
not yet needed the E-Stop buttons since installation but I'm glad they're
there.

On a 'real' machine like yours, they can save life, eyes, limb and $$$.

DO IT!

Thanks for listening,
Emory

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 2:46 AM, Kirk Wallace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> My mill isn't fully functional yet and I neglected to realize the
> ramifications of this. A bracket I needed to make required a tool
> change, so I decided to just do it manually. I checked the program by
> lowering the knee and single stepping through the program, which at the
> time seemed okay. I raised the knee, started the program and drilled the
> holes. The table homed for the tool change displayed the tool change
> message and proceeded to go ahead with the program without stopping.
> Unfortunately, the new tool that didn't get changed is shorter so the
> tool collided with the table. I tried to click the e-stop button in AXIS
> but it had no effect. Then I realized that the tool change message had
> the window focus and I needed to clear it before the e-stop would work.
> I realize I made a few mistakes here, by not having a proper config file
> and a hardware e-stop button, but I wonder if there should be a way to
> have the AXIS e-stop always on top and available.
>
> --
> Kirk Wallace (California, USA
> http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/
> Hardinge HNC/EMC CNC lathe,
> Bridgeport mill conversion, doing XY now,
> Zubal lathe conversion pending
> Craftsman AA 109 restoration
> Shizuoka ST-N/EMC CNC)

Emory Smith