Len Shelton wrote:
> Anyone care to describe their experiences on the accuracy of their home
> switches, and the type, and relate that to the jigs they were using?
For best repeatability, you want to use the index pulse from an
optical encoder to refine the home position.  Some people claim
to get .0002" repeatability just from a mechanical switch, but a
speck of swarf on the switch actuator will mess that up.  If you
are not using servos with an index channel, then you might be
able to cobble up a substitute by making a disc with a narrow
slot and one of those U-shaped optical sensors from a floppy drive.

I have used encoders with index pulses, and the machine will
home to far greater repeatability than I can produce with an
edge finder.  Presumably, it is homing to a precisely repeatable
encoder count, which on my Bridgeport is .00005"  (50 u-inch).
I can barely attempt to measure that with a Federal Maxxum
electronic indicator, but the various flexes and stictions in
the machone's ways produce more un-repeatability than that.

So, presumably, I could re-index to a fixture on the machine the
next day, but I never trusted it enough to do it without at
least checking with an edge finder or coax indicator.

Jon