You have asked the age old question servo vs stepper
I wont tell you what to spend your money on I will just tell
you what I have learned.
I own 3 servo machines and one stepper.
The servos are faster, period.
As far as setting them up there are people here
who know how and are willing to help.
The other things you mentioned are relative.
I have made thousands and thousands of parts
on my Bridgeport stepper and only missed steps when I had a crash.
Pepole will tell you that you cant trust the microsteps
between the full steps.All I know is that mine dont miss
steps.
As far as the speed goes how much time will 50 ipm more
rapid save on a machine that has 12 in or so total travel?
Unless you are planning on going into some kind of production
with your Sherline I dont think servos will do you any good.
Some encoders on your motors for manual work is nice though
but you could add them to the steppers.
Im sure this didnt help with your choice Its really about the cost.

Terry

On Mon Jul 28  1:14 , Sergey Izvoztchikov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> sent: