I'm faced with dilemma, which has no obvious answer for me at the
moment. I was set to buy Xylotex steppers based kit for my CNC Sherline
Mill. After reading more about servo based systems I'm divided, I could
appreciate number of advantages of servo based systems

- no missed steps, corrections via closed loop
- faster movement speeds, more IPS
- positions display (DRO)

However, stepper systems are cheaper and basically ready out of the box
compare to DIY servo based system, which would require significant
build and setup time. Note, I don't have funds for commercial out of the
box servo based kit. So, DIY is preferred option.

I don't know exactly what kind of work I will do on my CNC Mill in the
future, so it's also hard to target setup to future work. I guess I'm
trying to decide is it worth the effort and money to build a "better"
system (servo based that is) or should I not bother for such a small
Mill as Sherline and go with steppers just fine ?

Any pros and cons of both type of systems are welcome, especially in
relation to usage on Sherline Mills/Lathes.