At 11:21 AM 7/28/2008, you wrote:
>I am a "servo bigot", and just don't want to do anything like
>machining metal while "flying blind", which is how I think of
>stepper systems.
>
>Jon

Personally I would go one step farther. I want torque or velocity mode
system and not a position mode (step/dir) motion control system.  With the
position mode system be it a stepper or a servo with a step/dir driver the
motion control loop is just assuming that the hardware is keeping up.  Even
if the driver outputs a following error signal and it is connected back to
the motion controller it is generally just a digital signal so it cannot
know when it is getting close, it only knows after the error has been tripped.

Steppers have there place, but if you have to put a bunch of stuff
(anti-resonance circuits, micro stepping, no motion power down etc.) into
the controller to get one to work like a servo motor why not just use a motor.