On Monday 11 August 2008, Moses O McKnight wrote:
>On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 11:06 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> As for editors, there are several available.  I'm partial to the vi/vim
>> offerings myself.
>
>If you're going to recommend a command-line text editor to a newbie, I
>would recommend nano over vi/vim any day!  At least with nano you can
>easily figure out how to type a few changes and exit, but with vi/vim
>you have to learn how to think upside down with rags stuffed up your
>nose, and then you have to memorize 100 commands!  Every time I
>accidentally run vim I have to figure out how to open the tutorial so I
>can figure out how to exit the thing without killing the terminal.  Then
>I forget the commands before I run it next time :-)  Enough of that rant
>though...
>
>The easiest editor for most people will probably just be gedit aka "Text
>Editor" in the Accessories menu.
>
>Moses

Yes, gedit is very good, but for some reason I don't seem to have it on this
F8 box.  A pity, really.  I got started with vi before I ever ran linux, we
had a conversion patch for tsedit on the coco/os9 systems that turned it into
a vi clone, so I've been using that for over 20 years now.

As for quitting vi, "ESC:wqENTER" will exit the edit mode, then save and quit
the editor.  My fingers do it in their sleep. :)

Cheers, Gene
You'll feel devilish tonight.  Toss dynamite caps under a flamenco dancer's
heel.