On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 02:58 +0100, Steve Blackmore wrote:
> Your answer only reinforces my point, you all seem to assume everybody
> knows what you are talking about, and you do little or nothing to
> encourage new users.

Maybe this e-mail list needs a periodic posting of FAQs, as was done on
the old usenet groups. I guess I could start one:

***Frequently Asked Questions on the emc-users e-mail list***

Q1. What is the website for this group?

http://www.linuxcnc.org

Q2. What's the easiest way to try out this software?

Download and burn the live cdrom image from
http://www.linuxcnc.org/content/view/21/4/lang,en/ .

Q3. That file is too big to download in one session! How can I resume a
stopped download?

On a linux computer there is a program called wget that allows resuming
downloads. That program is also available for MS Windows from
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/wget.htm .

Q4. How do I burn this .iso image file on a PC running MS Windows?

There is a free utility called ISO Recorder that you can get from
http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm .

Q5. Seriously, the .iso file is just too big! Is there any other way?

Actually, yes. The Cannonal company that develops Ubuntu Linux will send
you a free cdrom. To get one, go to https://shipit.ubuntu.com/ .
Once you have installed Ubuntu on a PC, you can add EMC to the system
with the install script from
http://www.linuxcnc.org/hardy/emc2-install.sh . You will need a PC to do
the full install, or at least some extra room on your hard drive to
create a "dual boot" type system (hot to do this is explained during the
installation process). You will need an internet connection to download
the EMC software, but this is much smaller than the entire linux
distribution.

Q6. How about documentation? Is there any?

Why yes, there is! There are manuals and other documentation (including
it seems an FAQ system...) at
http://www.linuxcnc.org/content/view/5/5/lang,en/ . Please take time to
view the wiki as well (link is on the above page).

<and so on, and so forth, ect.>

If someone want to continue or add to this, that's great! If there are
questions that should be frequently asked and answered by this document,
please post them and an answer will be added to the FAQ.

Thanks,
Matt