On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 22:14 +0100, Steve Blackmore wrote:
... snip
> I don't want to install at this stage and risk screwing up a working
> machine, I've had bad experiences in the past with Linux and don't want
> to spend too much time on something that may not be suitable anyway. I
> simply wanted to look at the user interface and EMC turning
> capabilities.
>
> >> Sim axis works, but that's not what I'm looking for.
> >
> >What are you looking for?
>
> An alternative CNC lathe solution.
>
> Steve Blackmore

I haven't followed this thread completely, but ... I think you can Live
boot your Windows PC to EMC2, when EMC2 asks you to select a
configuration, it may ask you if you want to make a copy of the
configuration to your home directory, which at this point is on a
RAMdisk (?). You can go to your copied configuration and modify it to
your needs. Of course, you will lose this config when you reboot. You
may be able to use a USB stick (camera, mp3, iPhone, whatever) for your
config directory in which case your config would be saved(?). This way
you can do everything that a normal install can do without actually
installing. I don't currently have a PC to test this with. Does this
help or did I miss the mark?

--
Kirk Wallace (California, USA
Hardinge HNC/EMC CNC lathe,