Dave Houghton wrote:
> Hello Everyone
>
> I know this is not the correct forum for this type of problem, but you never
> know someone may be able to help.
>
> I loaded EMC2/Ubuntu 8.04 from the 'Live CD' onto a computer with Linux/BDI
> EMC (from Sherline).
>
> When Ubuntu was loading it acknowledged the other Linux OS on the Partition
> Screen.
>
> When I start the computer  it does not give me the option to choose which OS
> to use. Only Ubuntu8.04.
>
> I do have 6 partitions on the hard drive; I've been told the original OS is
> still there.
>
> I have been trying on the Ubuntu forum to try and get some help, seems a bit
> slow and erratic. They seem to be desperately over loaded with problems at
> the moment. My problem is not urgent or major because EMC2 is up and
> running.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions (nice ones)

If you still have other systems on there, and you just want to get at
the files, then you can use commands of the form :

sudo mkdir /mnt/olddisk                   (only need to do this once)
sudo mount /dev/hda3  /mnt/olddisk     (/dev/hda<n> is the partition you
want to mount)
ls -al /mnt/olddisk                            (to see the whole file
system of the other partition)

You can use the above to look at the /boot partition of these other
systems, and see the name of the kernel init file and the the kernel itself.
You can also see the file /boot/grub/menu.lst  which has the grub
commands that actually load the other OS.  You could enter these command
manually at the Linux boot prompt to make sure that OS is still complete
and bootable, and if so, add these commands to the /boot/grub/menu.lst
file on the Ubuntu 8.04 system.  Then, when you boot up, you will get a
menu of OS's to choose from.

Jon