Dave Houghton wrote:

> Disk /dev/sda: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4865 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
> Disk identifier: 0xab07ab07
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sda1   *           1          13      104391   83  Linux
> /dev/sda2              14        1166     9261472+  83  Linux
> /dev/sda3            4736        4865     1044225   82  Linux swap / Solaris
> /dev/sda4            1167        4735    28667992+   5  Extended
> /dev/sda5            1167        4582    27438988+  83  Linux
> /dev/sda6            4583        4735     1228941   82  Linux swap / Solaris
>
> Partition table entries are not in disk order
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$
>             -------------------------------------------
> I can see 6 partitions, that all it really means to me. I don't know which
> are Ubuntu/EMC2 and which are BDI(Debian)EMC. I suppose I would like it to
> work properly and be able to run some of the programmes. A menu of the OS's
> to choose from when it first boots up would be nice.(I copied you)
> According to /boot/grub/menu.lst  Ubuntu8.04's root is in hd0,4 - I was
> hoping for something like sda1 or sda4.
> I thought it would be quite a simple thing to correct. I also thought
> Ubuntu8.04 could have behaved a little better. Goes to show I shouldn't
> think too much!.
> I live in Africa I should have realized giving it an African word.
> I'm also a little concerned that I might really stuff everything up, by
> putting in the wrong command.
> So I need to go slow and careful.
> One step at a time.
> What do you think my next step should be?

You have 2 swap partitions, that is never needed, and there is nothing
of interest in there.
The Extended partition is just a container for other partitions, an ugly
MSDOS hack from the dark ages.
SDA1 is a very small partition, must be your /boot partition.
Installing Ubuntu may have wiped out the old boot partition, and taken
away your old (BDI) kernel files.  It depends on how that system was set
up, with a separate /boot partition or not.   SDA2 and SDA5 are the only
real partitions that have user files, EMC, etc. in them.  Names of
partition to grub are different that when Linux is up.  Most confusing.
hd0,4 is PROBABLY sda5, but I'm not a grub expert.  You will need to
construct a new entry "stanza" in the grub/menu.lst file to boot the
other system.

But, WHY do you want to still use the "old" system?  Do you think G-code
files, etc. won't be compatible?  Certainly not true!  You can mount
your old partitions and move any user files, machine config files or any
other stuff easily to the new file system, or just leave the old file
system attached and run old programs from there.  I do this on a regular
basis, buying a new (larger) disk drive and moving all files over to the
new one, keeping the old disk online for a few months until I am sure I
got everything off it.

Yes, careful work is required, but you are already using fdisk, one of
the most dangerous programs around.  Just use it in the list mode, or
with the P command (list partitions) and it is fine, but you have to be
careful.

Jon