Len Shelton wrote:
> What exactly is the purpose of the Pluto-P interface? Does it just give more
> I/O than the parallel port, or is it somehow faster (I am guessing not)?

The Pluto generates step pulses in hardware, which means that it can
deliver higher step rates than the simple "software generated steps out
the parallel port" approach.

It is probably the cheapest hardware step generation option, but that
shows.  The quality of the board is marginal, connections are to tiny
headers, etc.

There are other hardware step generation products that are much nicer,
but have higher pricetags.  For example, the USC from Jon Elson or the
AnythingI/O boards from Mesa Electronics.  Everybody has different
priorities, so we try to support a number of different ways to run a
machine.

Regards,

John Kasunich