On Dec 8, 2008, at 5:57 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> [...]
> and moved one sheet about 3 feet to the rear, we decided to throw a
> tarp over
> it for the night.  As for the insulation on top of it, I figure
> cocoon blown
> in 4 or 5 inches deeper than the rafters is still half the price of
> glass,
> and R40 or so.  At a weight of about 8 oz per square foot, which
> the drywall,
> if fastened at all edges every 8" or so with a 1.625 drywall screw,
> should
> hold forever.  Or till after I'm gone anyway. :)
>
> The ceiling is first, since heat rises,  But I'll have to add more
> plates to
> screw the drywall up to over part of it and at the insides of the
> soffit.
> Most of it is on 24" centers except the last two on the uphill end,
> which are
> about 25".  It was either that, or put the last rafter up very
> short spaced.
> Throw in that the first one away from the house is about 6" away
> from the
> house because the house has that much gable overhang, and I've got a
> piece-work nightmare.  I'm tempted to put it up from the there out,
> and piece
> the edges accordingly.  I'll use up another small bundle of studs
> fitting all
> the screw it up to frames I'll need to hit the sheets edges I
> expect.  I did
> install a 'shark knife' riving knife on my teeny little table saw,
> so it rips
> nice and clean and safely now.
>
> I probably ought to stick a piece of that corrugated green sheet
> foam to hold
> open a vent from the soffit to above the ceiling, but forgot that &
> didn't
> get any.  Damn, cuz it will need to go up while I can still access
> it from
> the inside.  Thinking out loud, interesting ain't it, listening to
> an old
> fart beat on himself cuz he has CRS. :)
>
> I did look at the styro, but its white, and half (2"=R7.9) the
> Rvalue of the
> blue stuff, and still $28 a sheet for 2".  No thanks.
>
> By the time I get this done, I will not have to worry about the
> wind moving it
> off that retaining wall unless its a real kansas style tornado, and we
> haven't have one of them in WV in 20 some years.  The drywall will
> raise its
> weight at least 30%.  50% by the time I get drywall on the walls,
> which I
> will then blow full of cocoon too, it should be able to stand a 50
> mph wind
> with the garage door open, more than that closed.
>
> I also picked a a Saelic? 'PC' game controller like those in the
> pix from Big
> J. but haven't had a chance to play with it yet. $21 at CC.

  Dollar for $$$ fiberglas is about 2:1 over the foam stuff.
20 years ago I was building a super-insulated house to carry me into
retirement.
Walls were a modest R27 and the ceiling was R45; all done in fiberglass.
House performs somewhat beyond the model. Heater was sized for -6 F
and the
heater is not on full-time until more like -15. Those temps are
pretty rare in this
country although we have degrees-days pretty much like Billings, MT.

Dave