another thought.  can you take out the pid loop completely?  that way the
pwmgen just gets the Zpos-cmd and thats the end of it, no following to worry
about.  or do i need to do a bit more reading?

It just hit me how that would work, Z doesnt have to be constantly moving,
it's more like moving a sliding pot up or down setting the power.