uOn Sat, 3 Jan 2009, Gene Heskett wrote:

SNIP_______________

> As a matter of fact, yes.  The quad core amd phenoms, (I have a slow one in
> this box) with some additional controls in the kernel to release one core
> just for the realtime stuff, and then hand that core to rtai, seems like it
> might be a pretty ideal situation.  The only latency problem I could see
> would be in freeing up the buss when it needs to access the parport, some
> method of freezing the other 3 cores in their tracks for a couple of cpu
> cycles might have to be worked out.
>
> Either that, or do a 'propeller' board for that part, in which case the base
> loop could probably go away.
>
> I've been looking at that chip since it came out, has anyone here played with
> it yet?

A perhaps more interesting chip for current "hardware replaced by software"
designs is the 4 core XMOS (XS1-G4) with 4x 400 MHz cores each with 8 hardware
contexts, about $20 for 1 piece (144 pin) and a $99 devkit. Kind of Ubicom on
steroids...

On the other hand you can do a lot with a embedded 32 bit processor in a FPGA
(the ZPU for example uses about 20% of a 400K SP3, runs at ~ 100 MHz, is BSD
licensed and has a GCC toolchain)

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)