I have 200oz-in stepper running an ~35lb gantry using a 24V 12A PS.  Each
axis is receiving upto 3A using a hooby board.  I am able to achieve cut
speeds over 2 ips.  I know I can get more if I tuned my gantry better, but
heck - its only plywood.

Doing some conversions, it sound like the steppers you have are ~1700 oz-in
units.  From my reading, the higher the torque the less top end speed unless
you have timing belts to take advantage of the steppers.  I also thought a
machine requiring this size stepper was better served by servos?

Some things to check:
Gantry racking
Pretensioning your lead screws
Proper alignment of your leadscrews and bearing mounts
Proper alignment of your motor / leadscrew
Proper tightening of all axis rails

This weekend after 10 minutes of messing with leadscrew bearing mounts and
the lovejoy couplings, I went from a lousy 0.5 ips to over 2 ips.  My
steppers even sound happier now.

Hope that helps some.