You could cut some shallow grooves in the bottom of the tailstock where
it sits on the ways and then drill a hole which intersects them. Attach an
air fitting to the other end of the hole. When you want to move the
tailstock just pump a bit of air in and instant air bearing. Of course
you'll probable want appropriate filters and such to keep the grit out.

Drew