Kirk Wallace wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-03-30 at 20:25 +0100, Leslie Newell wrote:
>> Sounds pretty much the same size as mine. It took two of us to lift it
>> off and on the machine last time. I agree slideway oil helps a lot but
>> it is still a fair push to get it started, especially if it has been
>> clamped down. Moving it with the saddle is a lot easier.
>>
>> Les
>
> I would consider a block and tackle mounted toward the headstock and
> tail stock ends of the lathe, to pull the tail stock. Using the carriage
> to move the tail stock makes me cringe, though I have done this
> unintentionally. There may be a danger in getting the cord caught in the
> moving bits, which wouldn't be good either. Maybe just put a hook on the
> right and left, and latch the block on only for the move. Another thing
> that comes to mind, it should be quick and fall down easy to use, or it
> won't be. On the other hand, I could be fussing about nothing.
> ------------
> Kirk

Some large lathes use the same rack that moves the carriage.  A bracket
extends toward the front of the lathe from the tailstock, and then down
around the front way.  It holds a pinion that meshes with the rack, and
a crank that turns the pinion.

Like this:
http://chestofbooks.com/home-improvement/woodworking/American-Lathe-Practice/images/Fig-95-Front-View-of-27-inch-Lathe-Tail-Stock-built-by.jpg

(google can find anything ;-)

Not applicable to a CNC lathe, since (if it was originally designed as
CNC) it won't have a rack.

Regards,

John Kasunich