On Mon, 2009-03-30 at 20:25 +0100, Leslie Newell wrote:
> Sounds pretty much the same size as mine. It took two of us to lift it
> off and on the machine last time. I agree slideway oil helps a lot but
> it is still a fair push to get it started, especially if it has been
> clamped down. Moving it with the saddle is a lot easier.
>
> Les

I would consider a block and tackle mounted toward the headstock and
tail stock ends of the lathe, to pull the tail stock. Using the carriage
to move the tail stock makes me cringe, though I have done this
unintentionally. There may be a danger in getting the cord caught in the
moving bits, which wouldn't be good either. Maybe just put a hook on the
right and left, and latch the block on only for the move. Another thing
that comes to mind, it should be quick and fall down easy to use, or it
won't be. On the other hand, I could be fussing about nothing.