Tom wrote:
> Does anyone know if John Thornton ever posted an ini/hal configuration to use
> with the CNC4PC jog pendant?
>
> I bought a CNC4PC 6 axis pendant and was researching the archives for
> information.
>
> I read that John was getting a loaner jog pendant similar to mine to
> experiment
> with about a year ago.

I set up one of those for Aram Kasparov at the last CNC Workshop and EMC
Fest in June 2008.
I have since set up 2 very similar setups on my Bridgeport and
minimill.  I thought I had the pendant code on my web site, but I don't
see it.  I will put that up tonight and send a message giving the link.
This will be with my own hardware interface, but it is just general
purpose I/O pins, so could be used on any system that has enough digital
inputs.  For 6 axes, doing it the way I did, you need an input for each
axis, and 3 inputs for the desired jog speed, plus some way to read the
encoder.  The CNC4PC pendant has single-pole switches, so you need an
input for every position of the switches.  If you used multipole rotary
switches, you could encode the combinations onto fewer digital inputs.
(3 for the axes, and 2 for the jog rate)  On my Bridgeport I used an
extra encoder counter channel on my PPMC boards.  On the minimill, I
have 3 axes plus a spindle encoder, so I don't have any more hardware
encoder counters.  So, I hooked the jog encoder to 2 more digital inputs
and used the HAL encoder component to turn it into counts.

I'll put both versions up tonight so people can compare.

Oh, one big feature I added, with the expert help of Jeff Eppler at the
Fest, was to put an integer lowpass filter on the jog dial to get rid of
the nasty buzzing that the coarse jog dial counts caused.  I have used
this on both the Bridgeport and minimill, and it is a great improvement.
The ilowpass component should be on all EMC2 distros since about July 2008.

Jon