John Kasunich wrote:
> No, for two reasons:
>
> 1) A lowpass filter will not solve PID of instability - if anything it
> will make it worse since it introduces a lag.
>
> 2) ilowpass is an _integer_ filter, it can't be used for floating point
> signals (which include the command, feedback, and output of PID loops).
>
> The correct solution is to tune your PID loops (using D and deadband as
> needed) until they are stable.  You must use halscope to view the
> resulting waveforms and decide what to adjust.
>
> Once you have the axes tuned as well as possible, halscope will tell you
> the maximum error you have during a rapid.  Assuming that is acceptable,
> you set the following error a bit higher so it doesn't trip.

Yes, agreed, any lag introduced is a major problem in a control loop.
But, the quantizing nature of the encoder and counter cause there to be
a lot of power right at 1/2 f.  It seems to me, a real neophyte in
control theory, that that power is NON-information, almost entirely a
product of the sampling process, ie. noise.  Both the P term, but most
especially the D term, magnify these velocity fluctuations.  I normally
run with a D term setting around 2, with a P term of 1500, on one
machine.  Make the D much higher, and the system breaks into
oscillation.  D should be damping, of course, but it creates so much
amplification of the velocity "jitter" that it excites some modes in the
system.  (In my way of thinking, too much D should just make the
response greatly underdamped, but instead, it becomes unstable.  This is
likely due to excessive mass & spring elsewhere, possibly mechanical.)

Maybe the whole problem is the system is trying to have too much
bandwidth for an already sluggish mechanical system.  With a 1 KHz
servo-thread, it is trying for a 500 Hz bandwidth, and everything should
just move to a lower bandpass.  Especially on desktop machines with
little motors, they definitely can have some real mechanical response at
500 Hz.

On the other hand, I have had some improvement by increasing the
servo-thread rate, moving the 1/2 f noise up to a higher frequency.

I'll be glad to demonstrate all of this behavior at the Fest, we can
instrument to your heart's content, and see what you think.  I agree
that a gradual lowpass filter would introduce too much lag, but there
are a wide range of digital filter algorithms to choose from.

Jon