Kirk Wallace wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-04-14 at 20:57 -0500, Jon Elson wrote:
> ... snip
>
>> problem, but I made the final fix at the 2007 EMC-Fest, and the driver
>> fixes were in the July 2007 release of EMC2.  So, I wanted to see if
>> anyone else was seeing similar problems.  Also, I don't see why the
>> spindle sync would care what thread pitch he is cutting!  That makes no
>> sense to me at all.
>>
>> Jon
>>

> Should I try a test on my machine? If so what would it look like?

There is a test file, threading.ngc, in the /usr/share/emc/ncfiles
directory.  (There may be another version of this file that is MUCH
shorter, about 15 lines.  But, I have been working with the longer one
in the /usr/share dir.)  Anyway, in the longer one, about halfway down, is
#4=0.05 (thread pitch)
which sets up for 20 TPI.  I ran it like that first, then changed the
value to .08333 to get 12 TPI.  You can also twiddle with the lead-in,
lead-out scheme and the depth of cut.  I left it with a very small
increment (#2=) so I'd get a lot of passes, to see if anything went
wrong.  I had no failures here.

I'd greatly appreciate your trying it there, just to see if there is
some random problem.  I cannot understand how the spindle sync would
work  prefectly for hundreds of parts at ~20 TPI and fail on roughly 50%
(I think he said that in an earlier message) at 12 TPI.  The spindle
sync function has no way of knowing what the thread pitch will be!

Thanks,

Jon