On Saturday 02 May 2009, Douglas Pollard wrote:
>I bought some cable to run stepper motors off of.  I was told it was
>shielded.  It is not.  If I try to use this am I going to have problems
>caused by stray signals  or static?  Is it likely to be alright or am I
>looking for trouble??
>                                                         Doug

That depends on your other electrical lashups.  Me, I like shielded, and the
best cable I've found for me and my small stuff, is called Star-Quad when made
by belden, who make it in sizes from 20 through 28 gauge.  Intended to be an
ultra quiet microphone cable, its ddouble balanced shielding is excelent.
Mine came from Clark Wire & Cable though, and is 22 gauge I believe, plenty
big enough for 425's & a xylotex driver.

All shielding is common at the driver, but is isolated from the motor and
machine frames, and all the rest of the grounding is back through the data
cable to the driver amps to the computer, then through the 3rd pins of all the
power plugs.  And something I consider important, everything is plugged into a
power strip, which until last week was plugged into a huge UPS.  But it went
south and the power strip is now plugged in directly to a 20 amp wall circuit.

Having stuff plugged into several wall outlets, which may not be on the same
circuit, is one way to get things blown up when lightning walks the land.

Your local radio or television stations engineering dept might sell you enough
of a similar cable.  That is how I got mine, but then I'm the retired
engineer. :-)

--
Cheers, Gene
We're only in it for the volume.