On Sun, May 03, 2009 at 09:26:40AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> This I would do, if I ever have the problem.  I have also probed for contour
> several times and have not had any errors of more than a thou or two in the
> data.  This using the sliding tube opto-interrupter device one of the guys
> here gave me a link to when I asked about that a couple of years ago.  Home-
> made of course. :)

It's heartening to hear that it can be done without optos.

Since the link http://www.hedingrips.com/Dcp00470.jpg, posted by Dean
Hedin on 25 April 2007, now gives error 404, I was wondering if my
imaginings of a pair of concentric tubes with a hairline aperture,
closing on contact, are anywhere like the real thing? (I'm trying to
figure how to have enough light for the detector when open, yet shut
with little probe motion. Or is it just that the movement to close the
aperture is known, and can be subtracted?)

Cheers,
Erik

--
I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when you
looked at it in the right way, did not become still more complicated.