Gene,
> Can you describe this Olflex cable please?

http://www.olflex.com.mx/clientes/estructura/img/administrador/archivos/olflex_classic_110_cy.pdf
I use the 110 CY cable, the standard 110 cables has no shielding. The 21
AWG cable is perfect for signals, I use the 18 AWG for the stepper
motors and 16 AWG for the spindle.
This cable is number coded - all black with white numbers that are
perfectly visible.
> This I would do, if I ever have the problem.  I have also probed for contour
> several times and have not had any errors of more than a thou or two in the
> data.  This using the sliding tube opto-interrupter device one of the guys
> here gave me a link to when I asked about that a couple of years ago.  Home-
> made of course. :)

Any pics ?
> To repeat, all grounds are done in 'star' fashion with the motor drivers
> being
> at the center of the star, and no cable shielding connected except at the
> star.
Good work! That is the only way to prevent problems in grounding.
For those who don't have a background in electrics/electronics: always
ground cables on one side only. Grounding cables on both sides will
introduce ground loops that act as coils - this may result in a bigger
problem than the original one :-}

Regards,

    Rob