On Sunday 03 May 2009, Rob Jansen wrote:
>Gene,
>
>> Can you describe this Olflex cable please?
>
>http://www.olflex.com.mx/clientes/estructura/img/administrador/archivos/olfl
>ex_classic_110_cy.pdf

Looks like a decent cable, but probably stiffer than star-quad.  Made in
Mexico I take it.

>I use the 110 CY cable, the standard 110 cables has no
> shielding. The 21 AWG cable is perfect for signals, I use the 18 AWG for
> the stepper
>motors and 16 AWG for the spindle.
>This cable is number coded - all black with white numbers that are
>perfectly visible.
>
>> This I would do, if I ever have the problem.  I have also probed for
>> contour several times and have not had any errors of more than a thou or
>> two in the data.  This using the sliding tube opto-interrupter device one
>> of the guys here gave me a link to when I asked about that a couple of
>> years ago.  Home- made of course. :)
>
>Any pics ?

Humm, sounds like I'll have to go take some as Dean Hedins pages seem to be on
the missing list.  I'll advise the list when they are up on my web page.

>> To repeat, all grounds are done in 'star' fashion with the motor drivers
>> being at the center of the star, and no cable shielding connected except
>> at the star.
>
>Good work! That is the only way to prevent problems in grounding.
>For those who don't have a background in electrics/electronics: always
>ground cables on one side only. Grounding cables on both sides will
>introduce ground loops that act as coils - this may result in a bigger
>problem than the original one :-}

Yes, this bears repeating, at least annually.  Or even monthly for some...

Well, my background in electronics goes back a bit, to the later 1940's TBE.
Last 45 years in broadcast engineering, usually as the Chief, last 25 at WDTV
here in WV.  Retired now, but like old soldiers, we fade to black very slowly.

Ok, got the pix, but now for some reason I can't mount my camera to read them,
vfat is suddenly an unknown file system.  But I'll get it & let the list know
when I do.

--
Cheers, Gene
You'll never see all the places, or read all the books, but fortunately,