On Tuesday 19 May 2009, Jon Elson wrote:
>Michael Jones wrote:
>> Interesting, these motors are HUGE for floppy drives and such?
>
>Well, there are other places these resistance-limited motors are used,
>but they invariably trade performance
>for cutting a few more cents out of the driver circuit.
>
>> I'm looking into replacing the motors with something MUCH more
>> efficient however, until the budget allows, I'm kinda stuck with these
>> for now.  In the meantime, I'd like to at least make the current
>> system work as efficiently as possible.  The question is how do I
>> figure out the correct timing for the system as is?
>
>I'm not an expert on these driver chips, and don't even know what is
>making the drive signals to them in
>your case.
>
>> I've been looking at some of the NEMA23 motors from:
>> http://www.kelinginc.net/index.html at around 300 oz-in.  I figure they
>> will be MUCH better than the 83 oz-in with the high resistance/voltage and
>> such.
>>
>> The current stepper drivers are L297/98 based and I'll probably be
>> keeping these as Geko's are kind out of my budget right now.
>
>Gag!  1980 technology at it's worst.  Any good bipolar microstepping
>driver will inprove things, and should be able to be used later
>with better motors.

A resounding yes to that Jon.  All the O.P. will ever do is try to get enough
cooling on the 298's to keep them alive.  I mumbled to myself a lot before I
ordered my first 3 motor kit from xylotex.  And based on my experience with
those, I didn't think twice when I ordered the 4 motor kit, with 425's.  The 3
motor kit worked better than I expected, although I did blow the driver board
right away, trying to use some crap wire for the motors that shorted out the
second day. My fault completely. IMO you get a pretty good deal for your money
from Jeff.

--
Cheers, Gene
If A equals success, then the formula is _A = _X + _Y + _Z.  _X is work.