On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 05:25:19PM +0100, Leslie Newell wrote:
> Hmm, interesting idea. Not too bad for a simple circular cam but
> unfortunately I have been supplied with CAD drawings and they are wacky
> profiles. Several different profiles, all one-offs. Is there any way for
> a RT component to read a file when it initializes? I could store the
> profile in a text file which I could generate with SheetCam.

rtai has shared memory between realtime components and userspace.  This
is how the communication between task and motion works, and how it works
between the userspace and realtime parts of scope, sampler, and
streamer.

In this case, you'd have to arrange for userspace to load a 1D array of
f(theta) values before beginning the cam cycle, then the realtime
f(theta) becomes: find nearest table values to theta, and use an
interpolation algorithm on those values (such as linear interpolation on
two values) to give the offset.

Jeff