David Braley wrote:
> The motors are Baldor brush servos with dc tachs for velocity feedback,
> and quadrature encoders for position. The servo amps are ancient Glentek
> units that receive a +/- 10v command for motor control. I'm hoping that
> I can somehow save the servo drivers and motors, and just use a much
> more modern computer running EMC2 for the brains of this thing. I'll
> need to use some kind of black box to convert the pulses coming from the
> EMC output to a +/- 10v signal for the servo amplifiers. I'm still not
> sure if the dc tachs are even usable, but maybe someone can chime in
> about that.

Sure, you could use the Pico Systems PPMC board set.  It has encoder
counters, 16-bit
DACs to command the servo amps and digital I/O for home and limit
switches, etc.
The only special stuff you will need is a little interfacing to the
fault and enable signals
on the Glentek amps.  I can advise on what you need there.
> Worse case scenario, if I'm not able to even use the old Glentek servo
> motor amps, I would maybe buy some Gecko amplifiers for the motors, and
> use a good pc I have hear for running EMC2 for control. What appeals to
> me so much about using EMC2 is then I could easily add control for a
> second axis, or more.

Geckos do not feed the position info back to the computer, so you can't
actually measure
the performance and accuracy of the machine.

The basic PPMC setup is about $780, depending on options.  EMC2 is free,
and can use
a relatively tame computer, 1 GHz Pentium with 256 MB of memory is plenty.

Jon