Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll try and answer everyone in this reply:

RogerN wrote:
> [...]

********
Roger,

It's super comforting to know that someone out there has converted an
older Anilam control system to EMC. The idea you share of keeping the
original machine running "as-is" while flushing the bugs out of the new
one is brilliant! I also hadn't even thought about controlling the
spindle speed or position with the fourth axis.

I found the Mesa Website, and started to look over their offerings.
Everything they offer seems super reasonable in price for sure. Do you
know the part number for the digital pulse to analog card you mention
above? You also talk about an additional I/O card. What would this be
for? I only ask about the I/O card because the 5I20 seems to have so
many extra channels. Are you possibly talking about an isolation I/O
card to protect the 5I20?
*********

*********
Ray Henry,

The motors definitely have both dc tachs for velocity feedback, and
quadrature encoder outputs for position. I also stumbled across some
detailed schematics of the Anilam 1100 system online. Hopefully the
schematics I found will have enough information on them for me to figure
out how to use the older Glentek amps. There is a third board that is
also used with the servo amplifiers. I have a feeling it's some kind of
special board that makes them all work together. Leaving this third
board is the main leads that go back to the computer controlling the
servos and limit switches.
*********

*********
John Thornton,

The machine works just fine the way it is. There is one small problem
starting to creep up though. Sometimes the machine will boot-up, get
past post, load Dos, and then I get the message that the control
software is loading and it just hangs. I think the Flash memory card on
the motherboard is starting to get flaky. It has me a little worried to
say the least. It was this problem that started me on the quest to just
find a simple way to upgrade the computer. That is when I found out what
would be needed to do it and the cost Anilam would charge. So the idea
to convert to EMC became a no-brainer, if you know what I mean.
*********

Thanks again everyone for the responses. I've been a lurker on this list
for some time. I've also been a solid Linux user since '96, so I'm quite
comfortable with the operating system. I'm really hoping this conversion
goes well. If it does, I have an old, dead Bridgeport Series II sitting
in the corner I would like to do a more comprehensive conversion on. The
machine originally was a three axis NC tape machine that has ball screws
and super giant stepper motors. But what is really cool about this old
machine is it has a #40 taper, and a large tool changer!

I'm thinking a conversion to new servos and amplifiers, with EMC2 for
the brains would make the old Series II Bridgeport a really useful
addition the my modest place. I work alone here in the shop, but it
would really boost my productivity level if I could be running more than
one machine at a time.

Thanks again everyone!

David