On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 08:36:13AM +0100, Andy I wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
> Is this mail getting through??

Yes.

> I have an X2 mill with a spindle controller which converts pulses to
> voltage output.  I'm planning to use pwmgen in PDM mode to generate the
> pulses.  Is there a way to ramp up the pulse density (frequency) to
> allow a soft spindle start?

One way is to use a 'limit2' block between motion.spindle-speed-cmd and
whatever is making the pulses.  limit2.#.maxv limits the rate at which
the output signal changes to track the input.  For example, if you set
it to 60, and the input is revolutions per second, then it will take 1
second to ramp up from 0RPM to 60RPM or down from 60RPM to 0RPM.

At the same time, you'll probably want to start using the
spindle-at-speed input so that emc waits for the spindle to reach the
commanded speed before cutting.  This involves a 'near2' block with its
output going to motion.spindle-at-speed, one input coming from the
motion.spindle-speed-cmd, and the other coming from the current spindle
speed.  If you have spindle feedback, then you'd use that.  Otherwise,
you'd use the limit2 output as a proxy for current spindle speed (since
it's changing slow enough that the spindle can track it accurately)

Jeff