2009/6/27 Eric H. Johnson <ejohn...@camalytics.com>:

> There is a tutorial on building EMC for an SMP kernel here:
> http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?EMC_With_Custom_Kernel
> Packages are here (which I assume you already found):
> http://linuxcnc.org/experimental/hardy/smp/
>
> If you just want to install the EMC smp packages, you only need to do
> section 6.3 on.

Well, I finally got round to trying this, and it seems that it was
well worth it. My base period jitter has gone from 20,000 to 2,509
which seems a quite unfeasible improvement.

The next thing to do is to make use of this improvement:
Stepconf always seems to use 100,000 base thread and 1,000,000 servo
thread regardless of the input parameters used for drive timings and
latency. Is this normal?
Where are the step, space and direction-hold timings defined? I
couldn't see anything explicit in the INI files, but perhaps I was not
looking carefully enough. (Or are these always exactly one thread
period).
My main interest is in running a faster thread to read the spindle
encoder. Currently I have the pulses connected through a HAL software
filter, but I am running into problems with the granularity (for want
of a better word) of the thread that the filter runs in. If I sample
over 2 periods then I start losing encoder pulses to the filter at the
moment. (You might note from another thread that I am investigating
hardware filtering too)

Any suggestions for values for BASE_THREAD and SERVO _THREAD with a
2509 latency?

--
atp