Gentlemen,
   I have previously requested the rotary axis usage as follows:

1: the rotary position stays within 0 and 359.999
    you never see 360 (or more) in the program nor on the position screen
2: the sign (+ and -) tell the machine which direction to move
    the sign has nothing to do with the commanded position of the rotary
table
3: the rotary table is positioned to the 0 thru 359.999 degrees regardless
of the sign
    ie. the position +90 and -90 are the same position
         the difference is the direction of the table to arrive at the
position
    an MDI command of 720 is a move in the positive direction to the 0
position
    an MDI command of -360 is a move in the negative direction to the 0
position
    on my machine with the Fanuc 15mb control the rotary scale errors out
when the internal register reaches 9999.999 degrees regardless of G92 zero
resets. on the EMC2 control this would not be a limit and the effect would
be essentially unlimited rotations without the need to wind or unwind

#################
further explanation to differentiate between linear and rotary

linear positioning is as follows

1: the position of the rotary table is allowed to move + and - just as the
linear axes with direction (+ and -) and magnitude determining final
position and the quantity of table rotations
2: the position +90 and -270 are the same position

#################
my opinion as follows:
   most people (initially myself included) think the linear positioning is
the only valid option
   in practice the rotary is the easiest to use as the direction of rotation
is immediately recognizable by the sign of the command
   it is easy to adjust to the positioning paradigm and seems intuitive
rather quickly

################
I seem to remember some discussion about this but I have not pursued it as
the machine I want to use it on is a few of projects away

################
I don't know if this is what Alan was requesting
If not, I am sorry for hijacking his thread to inject my request
thanks
Stuart

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 9:38 PM, Frank Tkalcevic <
fr...@franksworkshop.com.au> wrote:

> I know you can get the current position, then do some math to move to a
> multiple of 3600...
>
> # save the current absolute position in 5161-5166
> G28.1
> # move to a multiple of 3600.  #5164 should have the current A position
> G0 A[ROUND[[#5164]/3600]*3600]
> # set A to 0
> G?
>

> I just don't know how you 0 the coordinate system from Gcode.  In the Axis
> source code, it uses G10 L2 to touch off, but I don't think that is what is
> wanted.

you can lead a person to knowledge
but you cannot make him think