One thing which does need addressing is that, whatever
solution is found ( and I suspect that we may actually be
approaching a consensus on what is required...). the rotary
axis/axes need to be able to home either to the position in
which they currently are or to the nearest '0' when EMC2 is
first switched on. It will be no use having a system where,
if the last job you did was milling a 12" length of 40
thread, hitting the home button will cause the rotary to set
off on an interminable unwind.. Some while ago I got used to
running a short script of G54, G92.1, G10 etc. to reset the
home position of the axes as they were starting in 'random'
positions but the later versions of EMC have sorted that
problem and homing is now easy. However, as EMC will not now
allow any operation without all the axes being homed first,
optionally running such as 'position setting' script before
a rotary sets off on a long unwind is not now possible.

Ian
Ian W. Wright
Sheffield  UK