2009/10/6 Ian W. Wright <watchma...@talktalk.net>:
>  One reason for considering this is that, on my
> previous machine, I had a problem with the Z-axis stepper
> picking up interference from brushed spindle motors

If you really had enough energy coupling from the spindle motor wires
to the stepper wires to create false steps then something really quite
scary was going on.
The several amps at several volts that flows in the stepper motor
cables should be immune to all interference short of a nuclear EMP,
whereas the logic-level signals are very easily swamped by RFI (see
the discussions on pull-ups in the encoder thread)

I am no expert, and we do seem to have one who will probably give you
chapter and verse later in the day, but I would say that moving the
drivers to the motors was quite a bad idea.

--
atp