Thanks guys,

That's that then, controllers in a cabinet again!

Gene,
Having worked on installing mainframe computers for many
years I do normally use star earths for anything electronic
and my previous controller cabinet certainly has this - a
central bolt - for all the stepper control stuff and the
wiring for each stepper was done in shielded cable with the
shielding tied to the star point and the shielding extended
right up to, but not tied to the motors.. The spindle - a
mains high speed brush motor, however was separately fed via
a thyristor speed control board from a relay in the control
cabinet. The motor has suppressors across the brushes and to
earth and all the earths on this side of things were tied to
an earthing point on the machine and so I suppose that there
is a vague possibility that interference could have tracked
back through the mains wiring although here again, the mains
to both parts was fed from the same wall socket. However, I
am skeptical of this as the only axis that was affected was
the Z-axis - the one nearest the spindle motor. I tried
several spindle motors without curing the problem ( the axis
would very slowly feed down into the work ) and only solved
it when I changed to a synchronous-type of motor. Maybe
there was something amiss with the stepper which made it
susceptible to interference - I don't know.

Ian
Ian W. Wright
Sheffield  UK