On Tuesday 06 October 2009, Gene Heskett wrote:
[huge snip about strange noises]

>Just for grins, I'm going to haul my scope out there and see what I find,
> and I'll report back.  Curiosity bumps need rubbed and scratched you know.

Back from the shop.

I wasn't able to get a extension lead to that star point in my lashup, the
closest I could get was the chassis of the stepper motors psu, about 30" of
14 gauge wire away.

Just waving the probe around I was able to find the short un-shielded
sections between where the shielding of the motor cables stops and the
motors, a fair amount of noise that was pretty much gone by the time I was 6"
of air away.  And my running spindle has about 250 volts of combined noise
and power when connected directly to it.  The best pickup I could get without
connection was about 15 volts with the probe laying against the cable for
about 3".  That seems fairly noisy, but I can't hear it but very faintly on
an AM radio 7 feet away, listening to our local AM'er after daytime hours
when he has to reduce to 50 watts at sundown.  He plays a mix of county and
bluegrass that time of the night.  Other neighborhood noises are worse than
the spindle motor.

Hooked onto the z sled, or to the machine frame, was all the same, and about
4.5 volts of noise was generated by the xylotex, but it was very fast, all
settled and quiet well within a microsecond, the majority of it in the first
15 nanoseconds.  I am inclined to think that I was looking at the 3 foot
ground lead acting as an antenna because I got an identical display when
checking the chassis of the psu.  Long ground leads can do some real funkity
stuff in the less than a microsecond time frames.

Noise that you can see, and which lasts much longer than a microsecond,
probably should be run down and fixed.  But I didn't see anything to worry
about.  I should probably shield the spindle motor lead but haven't found a
shielded cable rated for line voltages and up.  Haven't looked all that hard
either TBT.

--
Cheers, Gene

Nothing can be done in one trip.