Andy Pugh wrote:
> It does pose one question, though. With a leadscrew you can "pick up"
> an existing thread by engaging the nut, stopping the spindle and and
> using the compound slide to align the tool with the thread.
>
> Is there an equivalent with EMC2? I am thinking you could perhaps stop
> the spindle, break the program, note the Current Z, jog to align the
> tool with the thread and then touch-off to the Z noted earlier?
> Of course with an indexed tool there would be no need, but I am not
> convinced I can sharpen a HSS tool that accurately. (Though I guess if
> the thread cut so far has some meat left on it, starting from the very
> beginning will cut air until it sorts itself out)

Leave the tool out, or backed off in X enough to not hit the major diameter.
Begin threading, then stop the spindle during the threading operation.
The Z
axis will just come to a stop and remain in sync.  You can manually turn the
spindle over to see that Z is still slaved to the spindle.  You can then use
caliper points to try to estimate the the offset needed, or just align
the tool in
the thread by eye.  You can then begin the threading operation and as the
new tool starts to cut deeper each pass you can judge whether it is centered
well enough or needs another adjustment.

Jon