2009/11/4 Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com>:

> axis will just come to a stop and remain in sync.  You can manually turn the
> spindle over to see that Z is still slaved to the spindle.  You can then use
> caliper points to try to estimate the the offset needed, or just align
> the tool in
> the thread by eye.

I think that this is the bit that is puzzling me. How do I move the
tool in the Z direction while it is slaved to the spindle? (Note that
I have no compound slide)

Does the nominal thread begin at the start position and the index
mark? I suppose it must, as the G76 command doesn't take a
thread-start value.

I guess in my case I can simply turn the handle on the leadscrew as my
stepper torque is not massive. But that seems inelegant.

--
atp