I have a general question about the throughput of EMC2 and what determines
it. I friend is using nurb modeling to describe the shapes that he has to
mill in soft material. So far he has had disappointing results using EMC2 in
that the processing of the large gcode files with many short vectors and the
resulting cutting speed is too low.  For most cutting moves the programmed
speed of the axes is not reached in these applications. Jogging speeds on
the machine is fine. Where does the problem lie?

In playing with parameters such as base_thread, we found that these have
some influence on the troughput and cutting speed. The processing power and
latency of the PC also comes into play. It seems that careful tuning and
balancing of some parameters is required. The problem is to know which ones
will improve the situation best. The steppers are currently driven via the
parallel ports. A MESA 5i20 card is planned to replace this.

Has anybody been working on the limited throughput situation?

Rudy

database 4913 (20100303) __________

http://www.eset.com