Rudy du Preez wrote:
> Has anybody been working on the limited throughput situation?

Going to hardware step generation is definitely moving in the right
direction.
I did some tests a while back, on a 600 MHz Pentium III computer.  I
made a 2" diameter circle in 10,000 line segments.
With the default smoothing, it took 250 seconds to execute.  With the
smoothing parameter set with G64 P0.0005
(meaning an error tolerance of 0.0005" is acceptable) this program runs
in 17 seconds.  At that rate, it is doing 10,000
blocks in 17 seconds or 588 G-code blocks a second.  That is with a
fairly slow computer by today's standards, too!
I think I later got it down to 13 seconds, or 769 blocks/sec.  These
tests were done on a true servo system using my PWM controller board and
servo amps.  So, there was no BASE_THREAD task in the system, and no
step pulses anywhere.

I think if you need more than 1000 blocks/second, you need to examine
how you are generating your G-code and see if it can be optimized.
Assuming 0.001" vector segments, you could move at on inch/second while
following any arbitrary curve that doesn't exceed your machine's
acceleration limits.

Jon