On Tue, 2010-03-09 at 09:35 -0500, John Kasunich wrote:

> > I know this goes against the EMC way of doing things but who is going to
> > want to use a GUI based override when you have a nice convenient knob on
> > the front panel?
>
> The NIST/EMC way of doing things doesn't just apply to pendant controls
> vs GUI controls.  It is a general principle for any time there can be
> more than one source of control.
... snip
> It will be at least a few days before I get a chance, but if nobody
> beats me to it, I'll write that component.
>
> Regards,
>
> John Kasunich

In my case, I only used an absolute encoder because I had an absolute
encoder solution looking for a problem. Since incremental encoders are
generally less expensive and easier to implement, it seems logical to
use an incremental for the overrides.

What would be nice though, is to have access to the master inputs, so
that one could choose where the master encoder is placed, AXIS or
physical master console. The slaves could be other consoles, AXIS or
pyVCP.

I wonder if the halui components should have the s32 inputs, the clock
up/down inputs are more appropriate. A separate absolute to incremental
encoder component would make it clear how a halui slave is supposed to
work. my2c
--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html