If you go search the EPA site, they have how to handle metallic mercury spills,
like breaking a mercury thermometer, or florescent light.  The
elemental sulfur is a good top, I had not
heard of that method.

http://www.epa.gov/mercury/spills/ - what to do if you break a
florescent bulb, CFL, or mercury thermometer, etc.
    Bulk mercury (think mercury barometer that would have several
pounds of mercury in it) might need something different.
http://www.epa.gov/mercury/ - their general site on mercury, both good
and overkill information, IMHO.

I know their tree-hugger hearts are in the right place, but it might
be a bit much for much of the
real world.

If you really want to make your own x-ray machine, it was published in
the Scientific American in the
Amateur Scientist column, years ago.  Go to the library and find (I
had to get it via inter-library loan),  a book,
"The Scientific American Book of Projects for the Amateur Scientist",
edited by C.L.Stong.
The one I had years ago was before ISBN numbers were assigned.  I had
it in the late 1960's.
They have several experiments that I am sure are currently labeled
'Don't do this at home'.
I did the cloud chamber (with a small radium paint alpha source I got
from the Atomic Energy Commission for asking),
a NMR that would detect Flourine (not sensitive enough for much else,
but it really worked), and a low velocity
wind tunnel and instrumentation.  I have thought of making my own
seismic event recorder (my wife is
a geophysicist by training).

In all those things, I did go and purchase a 5 lb flask (about an
ounce or two) for my younger brother (who was
about 10 at the time).  We played with it and made things.  Given we
were no evaporating it or ingesting it,
we were pretty careful with it.  I think we took it to the local high
school for them to add to their chem lab
after a few years of playing with it.  When I was in high-school, I
remember 'cleaning' the metallic mercury
chemically in the high school chem lab (under the watchful eye of the
chemistry teacher - who had a masters
as was working on his PhD at the time).  It came out with much less
oxidation.  I think I remember when working
out the formulas for the reactions we actually returned the oxidized
mercury back to metallic rather than just
separating it for disposal. ... ahh memories.

Sorry for the wandering thoughts.

><> ... Jack
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart... Colossians 3:23