Stuart Stevenson wrote:

>> The setup is done before the production. The operators were talking about
>> the floor to floor production.
>>
>> As time goes by I will be able to determine why there is an increase in
>> production. Machine slide speed is not the reason. I did not try to increase
>> the rapid motion speed. The feed rates would be the same per the program.
>> Using the same fixtures, cutters and programs we get almost twice as many
>> parts per shift with EMC2. I don't know why.

Since I worked on it, I know that the Gettys servo amps do the same as
they did on the old control and no more.
I did some block processing tests on a 600 MHz Pentium and had poor
results until I was informed of the G64.1 Pxxx
option.  Then I was blown away by the performance, it was doing over 700
G-code blocks a second.  I think the computers in your machines are
faster that 600 MHz, so they should do better.  But, unless you are
contouring complex shapes, I don't think you really need that kind of
block processing rate.

I only have  a few data points.  I had an A-B 7320 control (1978-vintage
16-bit minicomputer) and it had a really slow block processing rate of
about 4 blocks a second.  Of course, it thought it was reading the
G-code from paper tape!  I've seen a few other controls where you could
pretty much read the G-code as it scrolled by.

Anyway, I think the only possible variables would be block processing
speed, acceleration, or some kind of stalls when changing direction of
movement.  You can certainly slow EMC to a crawl with G61 on
contouring-like moves.

Jon