I wouldn't waste my time adding tachs on an existing system.

Tachs are not without their own problems.  Brushes, noise, belts,
couplings, etc.

Tachs were used because there was no way to determine velocity off of a
position resolver way back when.

No one is installing tachs these days.  The standard is to derrive the
velocity from an encoder.  Heck, even Fanuc did that in your existing
control, which you are ripping out.

Adding tachs is just adding possible mechanical issues and going backwards.

I didn't  know that hostmot2 could output velocity, that is pretty
slick.    That would certainly be a low cost solution and that should be
very reliable.

But lets face it.  That machine you have is probably worth an easy $40K
or more if it is running right.

What is $195 x 3 for a $40K machine.      Insignificant.

Dave